Adsense

Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Correct your English

Correct your English


Incorrect: Each of these girls sing well.
Correct: Each of these girls sings well.

Incorrect: None of my student attended the class today.
Correct: None of my students attended the class today.

Incorrect: One of my servant has gone on leave.
Correct: One of my servants has gone on leave.

Incorrect: Some of my servants has gone on leave.
Correct: Some of my servants have gone on leave.

Explanation

The noun following ONE OF, NONE OF, SOME OF and similar expressions must be plural in number, but the verb agrees in number with the subject of the sentence. In the sentence ‘Each of these girls sings well’, the real subject is EACH which is a singular word. It should therefore be followed by a singular verb.

Other singular words which often cause confusion are: EVERY, EITHER, NEITHER, NONE, MUCH and PERSON.

No comments: