Adsense

Thursday, August 29, 2024

Question Of The Day

In Question Tag topic “someone”, “somebody”, “everyone”, “anybody”.... change into plural subject “they”, what is the reason.

E.g: someone is going, aren't they?

I am changed into  aren't I?
I am an Accountant, aren't I?

What is the reason?

Great question! The use of “they” in question tags with indefinite pronouns like “someone,” “somebody,” “everyone,” “anybody,” etc., is due to the need for a gender-neutral pronoun. Here’s a breakdown:

Indefinite Pronouns and “They”
Indefinite pronouns such as “someone,” “somebody,” “everyone,” and “anybody” do not specify gender. To avoid assuming gender, English uses the singular “they” as a gender-neutral pronoun. This is why we say:
• “Someone is going, aren’t they?”
• “Everybody was happy, weren’t they?”


“I” in Question Tags
When using “I” in question tags, the structure is slightly different:
• “I am,” becomes “aren’t I?”
• “I am an accountant, aren’t I?”
This is an exception in English grammar. Instead of using “amn’t I,” which sounds awkward, “aren’t I” is used for ease of pronunciation and historical reasons.
Summary
• Indefinite Pronouns
: Use “they” to remain gender-neutral.
• “I” in Question Tags: Use “aren’t I” due to historical and phonetic reasons.

Source: KVR_Rao_ENGLISH_CLUB (Telegram channel)

No comments: